Our History

        It all started with a vision for work dedicated to the purpose of reaching people with the Gospel message and promoting Christian growth, through a well-rounded spiritual, recreational, and counseling program.

        In the late 1920's, a group of Methodist ministers and laymen held a program of summer Bible conferences for senior high and older youth, many years in the Poconos, then using the facilities of Blair Academy in New Jersey.  As the program grew, this group began looking for property to house it.  In December 1944, ministers and laymen from this program group banded together to form the Pocono Plateau Christian Association to purchase for $30,000 approximately 750 acres in the Poconos as a site "for a complete program of summer religious conferences."  In the summer of 1946 the first summer camp program was held at Pocono Plateau.  In keeping with its purpose, the Association made the site available to both Methodist and non-Methodist church groups.

      In 1962, a closer relationship was established with the Philadelphia Conference through the adoption of the "Instrument of Cooperation."  According to this agreement, the Conference was given the right to operate summer camping programs at the Plateau in return for the investment of $200,000 for the improvement of the property; this money was to come from the Forward Fund Crusade of the 1960-64 quadrennial.  Further money, $101,000, came from the Urgent Needs Campaign of 1964-66, the total funding allowing for the development and construction of the Adventure Site Lodge, Moore Lodge, and the wastewater treatment plant.

      In 1971, the property became the possession of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference, and a full time resident Director was hired.

        The 1990's was a time of programmatic and structural growth.  Since 1991 challenge course areas have been constructed - high ropes courses, zip line, climbing tower, team building course.   Structurally, the 1990's saw the construction of an outdoor recreation pavilion, new staff/retreat cabins, full-time staff residence, and a new Play Mountain.  The Plateau has also been blessed with the acquisition of Joshua House, a full-time staff residence.

        The turn of the century saw more new programs and facilities beginning with Carlson Lodge (2000), Springer Center - Dining Hall/Camp Store (2003), Maintenance Shop (2004), major renovations to Moore Lodge, relocation of Craft Room & Game Room (2006), replacement of the Adventure Site platform tents with rustic cabins including an informary (completed 2013) and Bath House (2014).

        The future looks bright for Pocono Plateau.  With structural, programmatic, and administrative changes, new and exciting ministries can be accomplished.  An increase in the non-summer usage of this facility plus innovative summer camp programs will insure this program center's success.

Pocono Plateau is a member of the Christian Camp and Conference Association.American Camp Association AccreditationPocono Plateau is an EcoEternity site, an alternative to traditional cemeteries.Pocono Plateau is a chart member of the Association of United Methodist Camp and Retreat Ministries.